Friday, August 23, 2013

So many animals!

 Have the weekend off, so I'm in St Lucia on the coast with a bunch of other volunteers. Tomorrow we're going in a hippo and croc "safari". :) I'm having such a great time, so are my mom and dad. Even though we're here on the elephant and rhino research, we're also going out with the large predator research, which is great. I'm working on updating the elephant ID kit, which means sifting through thousands of photos, identifying the elephants and then putting them into these documents along with their identifying marks. To take out on the vehicles, so we can try to identify them on the spot. Anyone know how to ID elephants? :) I'll tell you at the presentation. Hee hee. Have to be able to ID them to make any meaningful interpretations of their behavior.

There's this group here who are doing a photography course. It's four weeks and pretty darn intensive. Man, if I had the money, I'd totally do it! SO COOL! Ok, so our day begins with either a research drive or a game count drive at 6:00 am three days a week, Tues and Thurs we start with conservation @ 7:00 (conservation is stuff like clearing bush etc). All of those activities last until 9:00. Then back for a coffee/tea and muffin break. After that its either work on your research projects or some days we go to a community school. Lunch is @ 12:00, then more research work or a lesson about something. Then at 3:00 there is another either research drive or game count that lasts until 6:00. Dinner is 6:30. We're all usually in bed by 9:00! No late nights here! Not when you're out on the vehicles at 6:00.  :)

I really like everyone we're working wi. We're a small group right now...a ton of people left the day we arrived. But small means we all are getting to know one another very well. I've uploaded as many pictures as my free half hour of wifi has allowed. :) I'll try to do more tomorrow. I'm trying to think if there is anything else I just HAVE to tell you....

Hope all is well there...

No comments: