Saturday, July 19, 2008

interesting book

I just finished Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall. Wow. Now that's one mind-f*#k of a book! Here's what the description is: "When Eric Sanderson wakes from a lengthy unconsciousness, he has no memory. A letter from "The First Eric Sanderson" directs him to psychologist Dr. Randle, who tells Eric he is afflicted with a "dissociative condition." Eric learns about his former life—specifically a glorious romance with girlfriend Clio Aames, who drowned three years earlier—and is soon on the run from the Ludovician, a "species of purely conceptual fish" that "feeds on human memories and the intrinsic sense of self." Once he hooks up with Scout, a young woman on the run from her own metaphysical predator, the two trek through a subterranean labyrinth made of telephone directories (masses of words offer protection, as do Dictaphone recordings), decode encrypted communications and encounter a series of strange characters on the way to the big-bang showdown with the beast."

A conceptual shark???? What the hell? Interesting book...but I have no idea what i think about it. We're reading it for book club, so it will be very interesting to see what others think. I'm not sure it's amazing literature, or if it even succeeds in it's attempt...but it did keep me interested, so that's something at least.

I said I was going to blog more about the Cascade Cycling Classic...but to be honest I'm too tired. We did have our Story Stars program today with Todd Parr...I think he's my new favourite author! He's a great guy, and I really enjoyed getting to know him. If you haven't already, check out his books with your kids.
Some of my favourites are Underwear Do's and Don'ts, Reading Makes You Feel Good, the Otto series and It's Ok to be Different. Oh heck, I love all his work :)

It was great. the Staff all wore underwear on our heads like one of our characters! Hee hee. We had dinner with him, and I got some books autographed, which was great. Definitely check out his work.

No comments: