Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Stress fractures...

Turns out my shin splints aren't shin splints. They're stress fractures! Two in my left leg and one in my right. Sigh. So....what does this mean? I don't really know yet. Minimum 4 weeks no skating (I can, and should continue swimming and biking), twice daily icing and then stretches and exercises.Massage and PT will also help, but I'll have to see if I can afford it and if it'll fit into my schedule. Sigh.

I have to get serious about healing, or else I may not be able to skate! :( Which would really suck. I love roller derby! For me it really hasn't replaced anything...I love biking as much as ever. But I can do both. I go back to the doc in about two weeks for her to see how they're progressing. If there's no healing she did mention that in extreme cases they do put pins in. She thinks I've had stress fractures before and going into skating so quickly just exacerbated some not fully healed fractures. Anyway...that's where I stand now. No pun intended.


LCRD had a bout with the Olly Rollers from Olympia this last Saturday. Gotta say...they're a really new team, and they played dirty. And we're not really sure that they even know what the rules are! They beat us...but to be honest, they did so because their refs were really green. Poor Snow had an Olly skater jump her...for NO REASON! We watched the tape of the bout and she just came up behind her and tackled her. Really stupid.

Here's Dead Air announcing from the floor, and some young LCRD fans. The All-Star team had some fabulous outfits though! :)

Poor Vertigo was taken out...twice! Nice hematoma she got on her elbow. This is after icing it too!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Ouch! Get better

I'm jealous -- the Oly Rollers have awesom endurance which I wish I had.

Heidi said...

Hey, her elbow looks like mine usually does!