Sunday, August 19, 2007

Weekend visit with the 'rents

My parents were here for the weekend, and we had a really good time. They left Vancouver Thursday evening, camped in Washington then drove to Hood River and spent the day with Randal, Jen and Kai who'd been there that whole week. They arrived here around 6:00, which was nice. We had dinner, hung out...I got some nicce leg massages. Mmm. They really felt good. My legs are still quite tight. I think I'll ask my doc if for the next little while if I can go to PT for some therapeutic massage...they feel better.

Saturday morning we went to the lava river cave. We'd tried to go last year, but we didn't really have lights. Oops. Yea, you really do need headlamps or flashlights/lanterns. Anyway, we had a great time. I am claustrophobic, but I'm ok in...most of the cave. The ceiling is pretty far away. It's a great big huge round tube...like the name indicates! :) Here are my mom and dad in the cave. This is down towards the end. This is as far as I go. I tried to go farther, but I just couldn't do it. It only goes about 100 or 200 feet further, but for at least 50 feet you're crouched over like this. Ugh! I just can't!

Mom came back, but dad continued all the way to the end where the sand plug is. Here he is almost to the end of the really low part. He's basically crab walking. I shudder just remembering. I didn't even make it as far as he is now.
On our way out, here's our view of the entrance. It's about 2 miles round trip, but it takes a lot longer than it would to walk that up above. You're going slow, and having to watch your step quite a bit. It's so worth doing though! :) Doesn't cost anything if you have a NW Forest Pass. If you don't, you have to pay the one day fee.



Then we spent the rest of Saturday looking for a bike for my mom. She hasn't really biked in about 20 years, but wants to take it up again...for commuting and just riding around. Not mt biking or anything. When she and my dad were in Holland this summer my dad's cousin took them on a bike ride...my parents didn't realize that it was a 30 MILE RIDE!!!! And my mom ran into a tree! Hee hee hee. So she wants a "comfort bike" and I think this is the one she decided on:


Evidently bikes are cheaper here, so they're going to order in a medium and I'll bring it up the next time I go to Vancouver.

We had dinner at Hans...'cause they're closing at the end of the month and I've wanted to take my parents there for the german food for quite a while. It was yummy! I got the Jager schnitzel. Mmmmmm. Mom got the red snapper "schnitzel" which was very very tasty too.

No comments: