Sunday, September 16, 2007

First real hike!

Yesterday I went on my first real hike since my surgery. Colleen's friend Sandy was going up South Sisters, but neither Colleen nor I wanted to go that far, so we just went from the Devil's Lake trail head to Moraine Lake, around the lake and back. Turned out to be a gorgeous day. But I have to say that I MUCH prefer the route from Green Lakes trail head! The Devil's Lake route is way steeper!!!! The other may add a mile or two, but it's worth it. And I definitely still have major leg issues! :( My shins were fine, but my calves...whooboy. When I get back from Mexico it's back to Dr Smith. If I need more compartments released I'll do them this winter, so I'm not off for another whole summer!!! Anyway, here's our first look at South Sisters. Colleen is over there on the side having a sit-me-down.
Here I am going down to Moraine Lake. It was so beautiful!
See! :) It was supposed to rain this weekend, but it only sprinkled a little bit on Friday night. The trails might have been slightly better after rain..but all in all it was good.

On our way down Colleen and I were just chatting chatting chatting away when all of a sudden we both stop and realize we've lost the trail!!! Well....ahem....we turned around...and low and behold there's the trail! It was a switchback that we walked right off of. Hee hee hee.

By the time we got down my legs were killing me. Not my shins, but my knees and hips. It had nothing to do with my leg issues, but the usual pain with downhills. I was SO sore Saturday evening. I hobbled to the bath and that's about all the activity I managed! On top of it I knew that I had a big (well, big for ME at the moment) mountain bike ride Sunday morning.

Sunday morning the Bella conversational ride was going to carpool to Swampy and ride to Bend. I love that ride, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to. I did though, and it was fun. Here's the group at the Swede Ridge shelter.


So now I have less than a month and a half to get myself back into shape and able to hike. I really shouldn't be biking anymore, and be hiking every spare moment!!!! :) :) :)

1 comment:

jcc said...

damn my broken arm!