Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Home from Surgery

I spent the weekend setting everything up in my house for when I came back from surgery. I decided to rent a hospital bed, since getting up of the air mattress on the floor was difficult enough last time. I also shopped...I don't think you could fit one more thing in my freezer or cupboards! :) But I got it all set up to my satisfaction, and it's pretty good if I do say so myself.

My surgery was scheduled for 12:20 on Monday, which meant no food after midnight and no fluids...nothing, after 6:30 am. Heidi and Derek took me to the hospital at 10:50, I checked in, had my pre-op blood taken and all that. Then I sat and waited for the nurse to come take me back to the surgery area. And I wait...and wait...and wait. Finally at 1:00 I asked one of the admitting nurses. She checked and found out that Dr Smith was really behind. She'd had some serious complications with her first surgery and everything was behind.

So they sent me out to wander around, but gave me a pager. They'd page me when Dr Smith was ready. All I could smell everywhere I went was the cafeteria. I was SOOOO hungry and thirsty. But I still could not have anything. I sat in the lobby and did crossword puzzles. Finally I got beeped at about 3:50. They took me back, but by the time I actually got into surgery it was about 5:30.

The surgery went well, but my coming out of the anesthesia was a little more difficult than last time. I was really nauseous, so I had to stay until I felt ok. The nurse opened up an antiseptic wipe and used that as smelling salts. Worked really well! :) By the time Barrie and Kate were able to take me home it was after 9:00. I spent the night there and I gotta tell ya, they really took care of me! :) Here I am on the couch just after getting there. Icing. The doc wants me to wear those soft casts/walking casts on both legs. At the hospital the pants I had wouldn't go over the big boots, so they game me some scrubs. Hee hee.
This time around, it's much more painful! Dr Smith warned me that it probably would be, since she did two muscles in each leg not just one. Well, she was right. OMG! Last time on day two I could do a little walking...sure as a hobble, but I could do it. This time I can shuffle a foot or two...but only if I'm holding on to something. Sigh. This was me yesterday morning.
My mom is going to come down and take care of me on Thursday or Friday. I'm looking forward to that...some times you just need your mommy to come take care of ya! :) So that's my update for today.

No comments: