Saturday, November 05, 2011

Rat Temple and a palace

Wow, talk about contrasts! :) Yesterday we did two fabulous things. We saw the Rat Temple and stayed overnight in a palace! I mean, how much better does it get? :) I've been excited about the Rat Temple ever since i found out about it. The rats are sacred and live there. They've lived there for several centuries, and do not carry disease. Pretty amazing. In fact, the nearby town has not suffered from any plagues, even when other towns in the wider area have. You can't wear shoes inside, but you can wear socks. I thought....since I'm here, do as the locals. So I went barefoot. If a rat touches you, you're considered blessed. Well...several did sniff me, and one nibbled on a toenail. I'll admit, I like rodents, but that did freak me out just a little. The one that nibbled on me is the one approaching my toes. it was really amazing. Some in our our group had a really hard time with it, but everyone went in.

But after, to make up for that, we spent the night in an honest to god palace! In the 90's the Indian government offered palace owners who were having a hard time keeping up with maintenance, a loan to renovate/update and turn it into a hotel. Then only 40% of that loan needed to be paid back over 20 years. So, we stayed in the Laxmi Niwas Palace Hotel in Jaipur. It was AMAZING! here's mom and dad at dinner in one of the two courtyards.


Not only that, but the hotel owners' son was getting married this weekend. So last night was the first of three days of celebration. they had 640 guests last night, tonight there are 5,000!!!! It was amazing to see. Not only did we get to see a high-class Indian wedding, but it was at a real palace. Awesome.


Today we drove to Jaisalmer. We're really in the desert now! As a treat, they took us out to the ruins of an ancient Brahman village that was abandoned in the 1800's to watch the sunset with cocktails. I tell you, each time I think it can't get better...it does! Rats, palaces and desert sunsets with cocktails. I'm a happy camper!


Tomorrow we're off to tour around Jaisalmer in the morning, then to the village of Sam in the dunes of the desert and a fancy dinner in the desert with traditional Rajesthani folk dancing! We're here in Jaisalmer two nights, so hopefully I can update again. It's taken 45 minutes to upload 2 pictures!!. Then it's off to Jodhpur and finally Pushkar for the Camel Fair. I'm so excited for that. I've been gone less than a week...sure feels like longer.


Hmm, evidently the rat temple pics will NOT load. Sorry, you'll have to make do with just the one above pic. Ill try again soon...

No comments: