Thursday, July 26, 2007

Leg update

Don't worry, I won't gross you out with pictures of my leg. Basically, the operation was a success, but the wound on my right leg is just not healing. It's so tender right now, I couldn't sleep last night. Just the sheet touching it made me cry! :( So I went to the doctor this morning, and she;s not happy about it. It needs to be debrided as a first step. Right now we're doing everything possible to avoid a second surgery…which is still very likely. And/or skin graphs.

So what I have to do is soak it then take a toothbrush to it twice a day, to remove the dead tissue and stimulate the tissue to grow. I also have to put a wet gauze in the wound, wrap it up, let it dry, then rip it off along with all the dead tissue at least three times a day. I'm supposed to do that for about a week, and if it's still not healing, she's going to try a different debriding technique.

That doesn't work…it's back into the OR. When they excise a wound they have to make it 3x the size of the original, and I'll be in a cast and OFF it for at least two weeks. I don't really care if the scar is longer/bigger...I just want it to heal well. And it has to be healed before I go on my Mexico trek in November…or else I can't go. No way can I go down there with an open healing wound. If the surgery doesn't work (which I'm SURE it will if we have to get that far!), skin graphs are the only option.

Sigh. The surgery itself has gone well and looks like it may have fixed the problem…but the wound on the right leg is just not healing. I guess this might be an FYI that I can't lead some rides I've committed too. I'll know more in a week or two. And on top of all that it really hurts DAMN IT! It's so tender! :( :( :( Which of course is only going to get worse as I debride it. Ulp.

And I spilled coffee on my white capris this morning! :(

And the doc said no swimming until it's healed.

And when biking, no hills that put pressure on that leg…it makes the wound separate.

But on the bright side I changed my living room around this weekend. In my last place I used to rearrange everything about every 6 months. I helps your brain stay active...it has to think, even unconsciously, about where stuff is. Studies have shown it help. That, and I like moving stuff around! But in my current place the living room seemed very limiting. I decided, screw it and tried something new anyway. Not sure how much I like it...but I can keep it for a couple months and then change back! :)

No comments: