Friday, February 19, 2010

Skeleton

My friend Sarah from Bend arrived in Vancouver Wed, so I spent the afternoon showing her around my beautiful city. Wonderful gorgeous day. If you're in Vancouver one of my new favourite restaurants is Cafe Mumbai on W Broadway around MacDonald St. Super yummy Indian food. Took Jen there over Christmas on a recommendation from Sylvia....she always knows the best restaurants. It helps that her sister is a food inspector! Hee hee.

Yesterday I headed back up to Whistler for skeleton. It was heat 1 & 2 for the men and women. The women were supposed to start at 4:00 pm, but the start track had basically melted, so it was delayed until 4:30. They may be even crazier than the lugers!!!! It's luge, but head-first! Sheesh. I took lots of great pictures...but my mom borrowed my camera today so I can't download the pics yet.

As my dad and I were walking to the gondola to go to the sliding center we happened to catch the end of Christine Nesbitt's gold win in the 1,000 meter speed skating. They have these big screen tv's set up several places in Whistler and people are gathered around watching. It's super fun. Up at the sliding center in the break between the women and men's skeleton they showed the 3-2 shootout at the Canada- Switzerland hockey game.

It got so cold watching skeleton that dad and I only made it through the first run of the men. By the time I got back to Vancouver it was about 11:30. I finally warmed up on the drive back in the car with the heat blasting! :) It was great, again, to see all the flags and people out there cheering for their countrymen. People from all over the world.

Today Ana, Sonia and Rob arrive. Woohoo!! :) We have hockey tickets for tomorrow (Germany vs Belarus) and then Sunday Sonia and Rob are off to aerials and Ana and I go to Whistler for the rescheduled men's super combined and bobsleigh!

Btw, it really is bobsleigh not bobsled. Who knew?

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Glad you're having a good time!