Friday, February 12, 2010

Tough day

It was a tough day today. The news about Nador Kumaritashvili's death was really tough. My mom who is volunteering at Whistler says people up there are in shock and are hurting. But his team decided to stay and honor his memory. The opening ceremonies is dedicated to him, and the athletes were tasked with competing with his spirit in their minds. I have tickets to luge on Sunday....it's lost it's luster for me. I'll definitely go if it's on though! Those athletes deserve an audience. If you haven't seen the video of the accident, DON'T WATCH IT! I wish I hadn't seen it. It's horrible. I watched it before they knew he was dead. I really wish I hadn't.

Also today, protesters made the torch relay detour from it's route right when it was approaching the vet memorial in Vancouver! Those poor vets were moved to tears. They wanted the flame to come to honor their fallen friends and "some brats" as one soldier called them, forced the route to change. I have no problem with protests...but that was a heartless choice of spots.

So all in all...a tough day and start to the games. I'm trying to find my Olympic spirit again.... I'm sure it'll come once I'm out at an event. I hope. I'll upload pics as soon as I have them.

No comments: