Sunday, June 17, 2007

I'm having surgery!!!

And I'm so excited! I can't wait. It may seem odd to some that I'm so looking forward to surgery ... but this is my opportunity to fix a painful problem that's been plaguing me for years! I finally have a diagnosis for my leg pain. Well, the front "shin" pain, anyway. My calf's are another story we'll deal with next year.

So when I started doing roller derby, the leg pain that I've previously gotten skiing and hiking/walking REALLY became much more intense. I could no longer avoid it. Four laps and I'm down on my hands and knees crying in pain. That's not normal. After a bunch of tests, and about 4 months of PT...I finally know what it is!!!

Chronic or exercise induced compartment syndrome. Most people know compartment syndrome in the acute form, caused by trauma or a poison bite. Chronic is a bit different. The pressure within my muscles increases with exercise far beyond the normal range. The fascia, the covering around your muscles that makes them look smooth and sleek, does not stretch enough and the result is a squeezing of the muscles. It hurts like a son-of-a-bitch, and in the long run it destroys the muscles.

To diagnose, you have to measure the pressure in the muscles. This is done by sticking an 18-gauge needle into the muscle and measuring it. Ouchy, it hurt! Anyway, normal resting pressure is under 11. Mine is 22. Normal exercise pressure is 25....hmm, seems that my resting is almost the exercise maximum! :) After a bit of exercise with just started to make it hurt, my pressure was over 50. If the muscles had been fully triggered the doc thinks it would have been over 80. Yea, that's not good! :)

We tried the conservative approach...PT, rest and deep massage. Didn't work. Surgery is really the only "fix." What they do is go in and cut the fascia. It's a fairly simple procedure and has a very high success rate. And I'm getting it done this Thursday! HOORAY!!!! :)
http://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=2803&UID=

No comments: