Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Home to Vancouver for Christmas

Vancouver BC, not Washington. I'm off early tomorrow morning to Vancouver to spend Christmas with my family. I'm really looking forward to it this year. My grandmother, who has not been to Vancouver since '97 is going to be there. She's my last surviving grandparent, and who knows how much longer she'll be with us. So I'm really glad to be able to spend time with her. This last year has really shown me how important family is.

I'm not sure how to get home though. In the past I've usually gone over Hood to Portland and then just I-5 home. But the last couple times I've gone up 97 to Yakima, then across to Ellensburg (which holds a special place in my heart) and then across the Snoqualmie Pass to connect with I-5 just north-ish of Seattle. That way you miss all of Portland and most of the Olympia-Seattle traffic. Still have to contend with the Seattle-Everett traffic, but it cuts it down on how much I have to struggle through.

However, it's a narrower highway, and it's a crap-shoot with the weather. And since I don't have my studs on...I just don't know. It's a bit more in mileage, but I think it saves time overall. I've got plenty of books on CD though. Besides, then I get to make my FAVOURITE stop at the Thorp Fruit and Antique Mall just north of Ellensburg. I love stopping there. I always pick up something, usually these fabulous soup mixes they have. Yumm!!!


I don't know what I love more, the Wapato Stuffed Pepper Soup or the Thorpelini Tortellini Soup. Then there are salsas, jellies (like cilantro lime pepper jelly!), salad dressings and pickles... YUM!!! Let me know if you want me to pick up any for you! :)

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Go the Ellesnberg way and get some soup!!!!!!!!!!!! Drive safely and enjoy the time with your family.