Sunday, December 10, 2006

Pisco Sours

Eventful weekend! Started by helping Jennifer B move some stuff out of her old office in preparation of moving into her new one on Sunday. Then took my "little brother" to the Holiday Parade on Saturday, which he loved. He's never seen a parade, except on TV. We had a lot of fun. For the first time the library was not represented, which was sad. Next year! After taking him home I went to help set up for the roller derby bout. That took about 3 hours, then ran home, changed and headed back. Me and Kati, another fresh meat, were in charge of the merchandise table. It was a lot of fun, we had a great time. It was hard to see the bout, so we wound up standing on our chairs to see the ring. And me having my skates on made that....interesting! :)

I'dnot been feeling 100% since early Friday, but it really came to a head late Saturday. I tried to go out after the bout...but only made it 1/2 an hour or so. If that. I barely made it home in time ... evidently I've picked up the stomach flu that's been going around the library. Sigh. I had plans for today, but basically have not gotten out of bed at all. I don't mind being sick when you have to stay home, but still feel...ok. This, not so fun! :)

Not that anything alcoholic sounds even vaguely appealing right now, I did promise someone that I'd post the recipe for Pisco Sours, the national drink of Peru. Interestingly enough, both Chile and Peru claim Pisco Sour as their national drink. It is the subject of heated debates, media coverage and national pride. Peru and Chile continue to fight even now. The roots of pisco itself reach back to the 1500s and stem from colonial rule. The Spaniards brought the grape to the region from Europe, but the King of Spain banned wine in the 17th Century, forcing Peruvians to concoct a different kind of alcohol from the grape. So there are two versions, this is the Peruvian one, obviously. Pisco is a regional brandy made of Quebranta or Muscat grapes.

Pisco Sour

3 parts Pisco
1 part lime or lemon (depending on taste)
1.5 parts sugar
1 egg white
dash of Angostura
10 smashed ice cubes

Mix ingredients in a mixer for 2 minutes. Fill glasses and add dash of cinnamon on top.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Hope you feel better soon - I don't feel 100% either.

Chandra said...

Actually I'm already feeling about 75%. Stomach flu is mostly gone, just congestion now. Thankfully!