Sunday, December 24, 2006

Skiing at Whistler

Merry Christmas Eve! It was fabulous, went skiing at Whistler yesterday with my parents. I haven't been there in a couple years, so I'd forgotten how great it is! Don't get me wrong, I really like Mt Bachelor, but Whistler is... Whistler!!! :) They have a new chair, the Symphony Express, which opens up a whole bowl that previously you had to hike to. Had to wake up at 5:15 in order to drive up there for 8:30. It was an amazing day. 6 inches of new snow overnight, and barely anyone on the hill. I really thought that since it was the Saturday before Christmas it would be packed. I've been on Whistler and had lines of an hour or so. We nearly walked on all day!


It was kinda foggy in places, which is bad for both my dad and me. We get motion sickness, or something in the fog and flat night. Makes us very nauseous. But we found clear spots, and it cleared up a bit towards the end of the day. Even with the fog though, it was GREAT!!! I love skiing and I love that mountain. We skied a full day, 8:30-almost 4:00. And a 2 hour drive each way. Boy was I tired last night. Again, worth it though.


Then last night I helped my dad make his yearly yule logs. Well, I helped him make the butter cream. Man, is that a complicated business! The sugar and water has to boil down, reach 242 degrees, the eggs must be beaten for 8 minutes straight, then add the sugar syrup (at 242 degrees), beat it until it's room temperature, then add the huge amount of butter :) and beat until smooth. Then you add cocoa and Kahlua...then frost the cake part. But boy do they look yummy!


Anyway, today I have one or two last gifts to get, then tonight it's our usual Christmas Eve dinner, carol sing and then opening of the presents. Tomorrow is our big immediate family gathering, Tuesday is our extended family gathering and then it's back to Bend!

No comments: