Monday, October 01, 2007

Poor Dread

Poor Dready. Here's the latest in the saga of my cats. Nothing really bad has happened since last year when Loki broke her leg. But they're like children...something is always going to go wrong. Here he is in one of his favourite spots. Alright, so here's what happened....

I haven't been sleeping well again the last couple weeks. Thursday night the cats come in, everything looks fine and we head off to bed. About 2:30 I give up the ghost on being able to sleep so go downstairs and read and watch tv. BTW, really nothing on at 3:00am!!!! By about 4:30 I figure I need to try again and go back upstairs. As I'm getting into bed Dread sits up and he's soaking wet all down his chest. The blanket under him is also soaking wet. He's drooling like a maniac and can't close his mouth. He tried to lick my hand, but can just bump his nose up against it.

It takes me a good five minutes to see what's wrong, 'cause of course he doesn't WANT me futzing around with his mouth. It's ouchy! What I see is this HUGE gash across his tongue. It's cut about 1/2 way up, and about 1/2 way through...sideways. It looks painful! I took him into the vet on Friday and sure enough, he needed surgery to repair his tongue.

While the vet was in there they discovered he'd also cracked a tooth. They had to put him out completely (can you imagine stitching a cat's tongue while it's awake?!?!?!?!), and even though he was out, touching the tooth made him jump. So...tooth had to come out too. Boy, he wasn't a happy camper when he came home. They think that perhaps he had a seizure and bit his own tongue. He was fine when he came in and we can't think of anything else. He was sound asleep! He is getting older, so it's not impossible for him to have a seizure. Have I said "poor kitty"?

But he got good drugs! :) Saturday after I'd given him his evening dose, his pupils were SO dilated that you could not see any of the color. He just had these huge black eyes. Hee hee. Completely high kitty! Poor Dread. Oh yea, to make amtters worse, Loki hisses at him and won't even be in the same room with him. He's feeling crappy and his sisters rejects him. And mommy is shoving nasty things into his mouth...which already HURTS!!!! Poor kitty.

Hopefully he'll be better soon. I know that the picture below is pretty much what cats do...and that's what he's been doing all weekend....but lying in the sun and passed out after surgery are two different things!
I haven't taken a picture of him since the surgery...he's just so pathetic and I think the flash will freak him out. He's been really skittish and not happy. Imagine that! :) I spent most of Saturday making sure he was ok, but I did manage to get out for a hike with April and Julie. We went to Fall River which was BEAUTIFUL! I'll post those pictures later. Then Sunday I took Tyler to open skate at COISC and then joined Julie and Sheila for dinner...and I'm ashamed to admit it, the finale for Rock of Love. I've NEVER watched an episode...but spaghetti and wine conned me into it.

No comments: