Thursday, October 25, 2007

THIS !$*^!!^#*& SUCKS!!!!

Well, for those of you who don't know yet, I won't be going to Mexico on my trek that I've been looking forward to for the last 10 months. Sigh. Last night the side of my foot down by my heel was sore to the touch, but not to walk on. This morning when I tried to get out of bed I couldn't put any weight on it at all!

So I headed off to the new BMC clinic over on the west side. I was hoping maybe it was a spider bite or something. Maybe a bone bruise. I haven't fallen or hit my foot on anything...at least not that I can remember. They took x-rays and the doc came back in and asked if I wanted to go look at my x-ray with him. I figured that wasn't a good sign. Sure enough, it wasn't.

I have a bone spur that's snapped off. So I'm in a walking cast and on crutches for a couple weeks. I have to go see a podiatrist to see if there's anything they can do about it, and why I'm having bone spurs anyway. The doc figured I'm a bit young for how big it was. Sigh. This really sucks!!! I asked him if I could hike on my walking boot. He just looked at me like I was insane. I'm still holding out hope that maybe the podiatrist can work a miracle by next Tuesday... you know, in five days. Not likely.

On the bright side, I guess it's better that it happened here than in the canyons of Copper Canyon. Our guide said that they have to shoot horses that break their legs 'cause there's really no way to get them out. The nearest medical services are like 500 miles away. I'm trying to find the silver linings. Oh yea, and I was probably going to have surgery again in December to release the muscles on the back of my calves...I'll see if I can get in to see the surgeon sooner and maybe have the surgery now, while I'm going to be off anyway!

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Hang in there - something good will come of this.

Chandra said...

Yea, I can have the rest of the compartment release surgeries while I'm off for this and get just it over in one shot! :)