Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A Day in the Life of a Librarian

Now, the following isn't actually my day...but it may as well be! I love being a librarian. I love what I do, and I know I'm incredibly lucky. Not only have I found a profession I'm good at (and while I may be self-deprecating in other areas, I KNOW I'm a great librarian), but I enjoy it too. However, there are many things they didn't tell us in our masters program. Like how to plunge a toilet, what to do with weapons in the library, how to respond to a patron who asks you if you like Satan...but I think my co-worker in Bend has had quite a spectacular couple days. Judge for yourself:

"I have to share with everyone the truly unbelievable week we are experiencing here at Bend.

Monday. The llamas rebelled and did not adhere to their owner's promise that they "NEVER" poop and pee when they visit, because they only do it where other llamas do it. Both llamas pooped and peed several times, and then, of course, walked on it. Last night, on Z21, they interviewed a cute little girl who was at the presentation, and she said, "And the best part was when they pooped!" We had about 120 people in the room, 80% of which were under the age of 5, so every time they come to story time from now on that's what they'll remember about the Brooks Room.

Tuesday. At Toddlin' Tales today I had an "over the top" experience. In the middle of my second story a mother took her 2-year-old son to the back of the room, whipped out a potty chair from her bag, and sat him on the potty chair. She continued to chat with him, encouraging him to do his business, while I stumbled and bumbled through the story, absolutely astounded that I was seeing what I was seeing. I kept imagining a room full of 20 toddlers, all of whom are sitting on potty chairs while I read stories! I ended my story time rather abruptly, walked up to the lady (who had by now returned with her son) and said, "Did you know there is a bathroom in the back of the room?" "Oh, yes, I know," she said, "but he's not really comfortable in bathrooms. He's being potty trained this week so..." I said, a bit snappishly, "For sanitary reasons he needs to be in the bathroom." (I was hoping she hadn't watched Z21 the night before.) She responded with a rather huffy, "Oh, all right."

Then, while I was at lunch, a mother reported that she had sat on one of our giant bears and her leg and shorts got all wet. She was sure someone had peed on the bear. The bear is now in storage until it dries out.

So, here's what I have to say: IT'S ONLY TUESDAY!! WHAT COULD BE NEXT?"

Hee hee. I can laugh, 'cause I wasn't there! I have the llamas in Sunriver August 7th though...

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Unbelievable!!! Some people think they are the only ones that matter. Her kid pooped in the room!

BTW -Pee and poop are always good topics.