Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Iron Mountain hike

I hiked Cone & Iron mountain again this weekend. Less than two months until I leave! Ahhh! It was fun...but HOT! Last time I did great, this time I got charlie horses in my calves within about 1/2 an hour. And of course, once I get them it's really hard to get rid of 'em. I just wasn't hydrating like I should have.

So with me went April, Robin, Kristin, Yvonne, Lisa, Morgan, Tonya and then 3 dogs. Marley, Baby Girl and Bella. Here are Kristin, Robin and Marley in the van on the way up. Marley was quite upset that Robin was sitting in his seat!

The wildflowers this time were just as wonderful! There seemed to be more purples and yellows and fewer red flowers. We didn't have an identification book, but we did our best. In other words we mentioned any wildflower we knew! I couldn't believe how busy it was on the trail. I have NEVER seen that many people there...there was barely any room left in the Tombstone trailhead parking lot. Sheesh!


This is a picture of Morgan and Baby Girl (and me off to the left). Baby Girl is a tiny little Chihuahua, but man, she just trucked along on the trail. The other little dog that Yvonne, Morgan and Lisa brought is a Brussels Griffon...but very small for the breed. At this point we've just come out of the forest into the huge wildflower fields that cover the sides of Cone Mountain.


Here's the view from the saddle between Cone and Iron mountains. That's Cone Mountain on the left. Next time maybe instead of continuing up Iron Mountain I should do Cone Mountain! It's elevation is quite a bit higher.

We stopped at the top of the ridge between Cone and Iron Mountains for a water and snack break. This is Morgan on the left, Lisa and then Yvonne. Bella is the brown little one and there's Baby Girl again. These guys headed back shortly after this. The dogs did really really well, but poor Baby's feet were getting a bit thrashed. That and I had not been clear about just how far a drive it was! Sorry guys! :( At least they got to see this view. The pictures can't really show you how amazing it is.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Great views! Glad you're getting in some hiking "practice".