Sunday, January 14, 2007

HOORAY! I made it through one whole practice.

I am so freakin' stoked! I made it through a derby practice! I had to stop once or twice, but only for a minute or two. I couldn't do all the drills, but instead of stopping I'd just skate. Don't get me wrong, it still hurt, but nothing like before. Now it feels more like normal adjusting to a new sport, using your muscles in ways you haven't before. I'm so happy! :)

On Saturday LCRD had a skate-a-thon for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They skated 26.2 miles each. We thought it was going to take longer, but the fastest was done in 1 hour 18 minutes. They were flying! I obviously couldn't skate, but I helped out counting laps. It was great.

Here are some of them getting ready. I was going to put on my skates, like Dead Air, and just roll around on them. It's ok that I didn't though...counting laps really took all of our concentration!

Beep explaining how it's going to work.

First lap of....let's see, 8 laps per mile, 26.2 miles...wow, 209 laps. I thought that they'd hit a wall at about mile 15 or so, but no. In fact, some of them seemed to be going faster at that time than when they'd started. It was pretty amazing to watch. Every twenty minutes or so they'd change directions for a while. It's really hard skating so much all in one direction. However, it made me job more difficult when I had two people going in opposite directions! :)

The final numbers aren't in yet, but I think we'll have made over $1,500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Vertigo skated her laps for a young girl named Hannah who passed away from leukemia this past summer. She had her picture on her shirt. We actually took this picture to give to Hannah's father. Too late for her, but hopefully not for others.

After we had the LCRD awards dinner. Potluck and it was great. Watched videos of the bouts, and man it really fires you up. That's why I'm SOOOO happy that I was able to skate almost the whole practice today. Hooray

Went to the Grove after the dinner with the roller girls. LOL, yea, that was something. Here's one of our tables.

A present from Muff. I wasn't really that special though...I think she was giving them out to anyone showing cleavage! :)

Joyride and I comparing foot sizes. You know, no one ever really believes how small my feet are until they actually see them. I know, they are a bit freakishly small...but they sorta fit my body? Our heels are lined up. I just have small feet.

No comments: