Monday, January 29, 2007

Roller Derby Weekend!

Another busy weekend! Saturday was April's birthday, but since we were both going to be away we arranged a birthday dinner for her with some of the library people. We went to the Mercury Diner because...well, we initially wanted to go to Mangia Pasta, but evidently they're no longer in business! So Mercury Diner was April's second choice. She'd never been there, and neither had I. Have to say....really not impressed. I think it's WAY over-priced for mediocre food. Yea, not impressed. Not sure I'd go back. Bend has so many restaurants, why go to one that isn't great?
It was still fun though, had a good time.
But it wasn't a late night since both April and I had to get up early to leave for Portland. WE were going there with the roller derby gals to watch the Rose City Roller Girls bout the Rat City Roller Girls from Seattle. I rode up with Bawdy Czech (Emily), Mighty Muff (Chrissy) and Debbie. Oh, btw, my name went through, I'm officially Mistress Hush. WE were supposed to leave at 8:30, but didn't really get out of Bend until after 9:00, almost 9:30. Our plan was to go to Oaks Park in Portland and skate for a couple hours. Then go to our hotel, change and head off to the bout. Here are some of the ladies skating the hokey poky at Oaks Park. That's Wham Bam on her ass.
My shin splints were still causing me a great deal of pain, so I'd skate for a couple minutes, take a break, go back out, take a break and so on. This was quite the experience. They're really strict on their rules. Poor Muff broke 4 of them in under 10 minutes. You can't stand still, can't stop at the sides to talk to anyone, you can ONLY skate backwards in the center...and the best one of all, Muff was asked to put on another shirt because her BELLY BUTTON WAS SHOWING!!! Give me a friggin' break! Wow. Poor Muff was so pissed. She went and got her money back. She explained that she just didn't seem to be cut out for their skate rink. She was PISSED! As she should have been though, it was ridiculous. Four other derby girls also got in trouble. Don't weave, too fast, don't stop.....!!! Stupid.
So we headed off to our hotel. Most of the Derby girls were staying at the Jupiter Hotel and the after-party was at the Outlaws bar about a block away. We stayed at the TravelLodge across the street. I really want to stay at the Jupiter. Hopefully next time I'm in P'land. It's funky.

We were up there to watch the Rose City Rollers vs the Rat City Roller Girls. They were playing at the Expo center and had over 15,000 people in the audience. It was great. There were other leagues there form all over Washington, Oregon and even Idaho. Oh and one from Vancouver BC and one from California. We watched four teams from each league do a 20 minute bout. It was great, 'cause we got to see eight different teams, not just two. They were awesome! The bout started with this great funky marching band and dancers. Check out my LCRD gallery for more pics. Then they demonstrated, for those who don't know how roller derby works...and then the action was on!

They were great! Watching them really really really made me want to be able to skate. In some ways our league is as good...but you can tell that these two leagues are more established. They've been around longer, so everything is smoother. Great fun!!! This one is the Rose City Guns 'N Rollers vs the Rat City Sockit Wenches. The Sockit Wenches won. It was a good fight. The only one Portland one was the Break Neck Betties vs the Throttle Rockets.
Then it was off to the after party! I tell ya though...the first band was HORRIBLE!!! They were a garage band who should have stayed in the garage. Cross between punk and thrash...and off tune, loud and stupid lyrics. They were so bad we just got into it and embraced the badness! :) It was April's b-day, so she got lots of drinks. This is her birthday hug from me! Dame Deviant and Mistress Hush. :)

It was an ok time. Fun with the ladies, and some good music after the first band...but it wasn't as fabulous as it could have been. Of course, I was a little pissed about my $14 gin and tonic. I went and got my first drink, gave the bartender a $20 and later realized I only got $6 back. By that time it was too late, she would never have remembered who I was...and whatever. We had a good time. Some...like Vertigo :) should probably have stayed away from the hard liquor (she would up under the table...literally!) and others (MUFF!!) should have just used Red Bull and Jagermeister as an appetizer, not the main course! :) Stayed until about 1:00, but then I was done. Dead Air and I went back to the hotel together, others soon arrived back too. Except for those who seemed to have found...alternate places to sleep! :)

The next morning some of us went to breakfast and then it was the Critical Mass. Was supposed to start at 11:00, but they didn't get out until after 12:00. It's like the biking Critical Mass. Only problem...there weren't enough skaters to really stop traffic by the time they started. I don't have outdoor wheels and so I didn't go with. Here's Dead Air and I waiting around.

And waiting. And waiting....! On the far left is Nicole, or Speedy Bandito. That's April's back to me with the bunny hat. Then Dead Air and Brazen Broad. The others are from other teams.

And off they go! It started with a VERY steep driveway down from the Jupiter Hotel. Four people crashed there...it should have been an indicator. Especially for Beep. He was still drunker n...shite, had never skated outdoor and had no pads on! Silly boy.

'Cause this is what he did. And he had a HUGE blood blister on his foot too.

They skated all the way downtown, over the Burnside Bridge. Then back again, to a skate park for some fun and then back to the hotel. They were very tired skaters when they got back!


Which is why Muff passed out in the car on the way home. I was totally bushed by the time I got home!

2 comments:

april said...

yay! so glad you went. hopefully next time there will be cheaper drinks and less shin splints! i love that photo of you and i!
-dame d.

Heidi said...

Nice write-up! Looks like you guys had a really good time.