Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The continuing saga of Loki

Loki came home from her surgery just fine. She was quite active and stumping around on her much smaller cast. Dread however is still very unsure about her. All she wants is to snuggle with him, but he hisses at her and runs away. The look she gives me when he does that is just so sad!

So anyway, all was well until Saturday morning when I noticed this...icky spot on her tummy. It was red and icky and had a raised white circle with a red dot in the middle. Looked odd and I figured I'd take her in on Monday just to have them check it out. At first I thought it might be where they put an IV for her surgery, but no, that was on her neck. By Sunday it had grown larger and looked much worse. Then I noticed another spot developing lower on her stomach. Her belly was also a bit distended and hard. I thought about taking her to the emergency clinic, but to be honest I really can't afford that right now. So I decided to wait until Monday and take her to her regular vet, Dr LaPaugh. If you don't have a vet, La Paw Animal Hospital is excellent! Three years in a row they've won The Source's "Best of Bend" Best Vet!



I took her in Monday. By then the two spots looked really bad. Dr LaPaugh isn't sure what it is. It's possible that it is somehow related to her foot injury and is just now coming out. A stronger possibility is that it's a spider bite that has gone necrotic! Ewww! Since Loki's been inside this whole time, that means there's a nasty spider running around my house! To me it looks more bacterial or parasitic, but she's on such strong antibiotics that it seems impossible that she'd be able to pick up anything. Poor pathetic little girl. When she came home from surgery she just had a small shaved patch on her neck, and her cast. Now she also has a shaved belly exposing her... really icky spots.

She's on more meds that need to be given three times a day and also needs to have the affected area washed and soaked three times per day. So that means first thing in the morning, then drive home from Sunriver at lunch to do the mid-day meds and soaking, then drive back to Sunriver to work, and then do it again when I come home. And, to make things more complicated, I'm also dog-sitting for Heidi and Derek while they're in Switzerland. They're good dogs, and I've enjoyed spending time with them. I miss having a dog. It's not bad, it just makes things more logistically... interesting. I couldn't get it to load, but Heidi if you're reading this from Switzerland here's a link so you can see they're doing just fine! They'll be happy when you're home though. I'm no substitute! http://www.flickr.com/photos/chandravan/222301746/ :)



Since I have less than three weeks to Peru, I decided it was time to test-pack. It all fits, with room to spare. Of course, I immediately thought "Oh great, I can pack more stuff!" But no, I resisted the impulse. I also remembered that I don't have my sleeping pad yet...so I need to leave room for that too. 16 days and counting...

Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to get to PDX and back. My flight back has been changed, so that instead of arriving at 12:30 pm I'm arriving at 9:20 pm! Yuck.

No comments: