Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The reason why

I just had an encounter with a patron that reminds me why I do what I do, why I love being a librarian. A woman, about my age approached me and asked about a kids book. She didn't know the title or author. So I asked what it was about. "It's about a little house that's in the country..." and by then I already knew which book she meant, but let her finish... "but through development it became part of the city...?" I said, "That's The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton." Took her over to the shelf, showed her the book and she almost cried she was so happy.

The book meant so much to her as a child, and she had not been able to find it for years. She was amazed that I knew exactly which book she meant...but I have to admit, that was a really easy one. Here's the cover...you all recognize it, don't you. I think everyone in their 30's and even 40's was read that book.


You know this one, don't you? She also wrote Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel and Katy and the Big Snow. They were wonderful. And that's why I love being a librarian. She told me I was her hero and she's now sitting over by the fireplace reading the book, looking so happy.
:)

No comments: