Thursday, August 03, 2006

Here is most of my extended family that was at the funeral. Yea, I'm not going to name them all. You wanna know who a particular person is, ask me! :)


This is what was up at the alter. Oma was cremated...those are her ashes in the container in the middle. Obviously, that's a picture of Oma from several years ago, and one of her favourite prints that her daughter Elke, my aunt gave to her. My grandmother was really a great woman. She lived through so much, and did so with such grace, strength and love. I realized at the funeral when I listened to people talk about my grandmother...that they were talking about my mom too. She may annoy the crap outta me (that is a parents job, right?), but she has such an amazing heart, and truly loves people. I need to tell her that more. Maybe I can do that in Peru. I'm really looking forward to spending time with her.

Oma lived through both world wars, and during World War II she sheltered her family of three kids, while pregnant with my uncle Dirk. She showed such courage in the face of such amazing horrors, and it never tainted her. She is truly someone to emulate. I hope I can be more like you, Oma. Wish I had realized that more when you were alive.

Here are the cousins with various husbands, children and significant others outside the Salmon House where we had dinner the night of the funeral. Mmmm!

This is the view from the Salmon House. Isn't it amazing? The bridge that the cruise ship is about to pass under is the Lions Gate Bridge. It connects North Vancouver to Stanley Park and downtown Vancouver (those tall buildings).

The house I grew up in, and the house my parent's still live in is to the right in the back. UBC is just out of sight to the right. God Vancouver is a beautiful city! And I'm completely unbiased! :) Hmm, the picture this referred to disappeared and I can't get it to reload! Oh well.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I need to check out Vancouver. I've only been through it on my way to Whistler.